GetYourGuide Review : Are they legit? My thoughts
GetYourGuide sets out to help travelers find highly rated tours and itineraries to popular destinations around the world. But is it legit, and does it hold up to its claims? I checked them out to find out. Explore my review and avoid booking until you find out what I know.
However, I find it all looks dreamy until reality hits you with the complicated planning of trips. Most of us give up on the idea of a trip because searching for all the details, including accommodations, tour guides, and transportation, is very stressful.
That’s when I turned to a travel agency that would guide me on what to see and how to see the place the best. The Pilot team has reviewed similar services like G Adventures and Viator, but how about GetYourGuide?
That's what I'm getting into today!
GetYourGuide gives you the right kind of travel experience with its efficient touring solutions considering your needs. Here is my GetYourGuide review to help you choose the unmissable things in your travel destination. I'll talk about what I like and what I don't like about GetYourGuide.
Let's get into it…
What Is GetYourGuide?
GetYourGuide is an online tour-organizing company that thrives globally and operates from Germany. It stepped into the scene in 2009 with 4 enthusiastic classmates Johannes Reck, Tao Tao, Tobias Rein, and Martin Sieber.
The squad started off as local guides and, within a decade, expanded to what the company is now.
You can reach out to GetYourGuide through its official website or mobile app for Android and iOS. You can check the right time to travel to your favorite destination, what are the fun things to see, and what places you cannot miss. GetYourGuide has you covered.
The company also serves you with mobile ticketing, discounts, and offers on flight bookings, hotel bookings, and an easy cancellation process.
How Does GetYourGuide Work?
Now you might ask how do I join my guide via GetYourGuide or how it works. Well, I found it works in a pretty simplified manner:
- Check if your desired destination is in the places where GetYourGuide has its services.
- Register through their website or download the GetYourGuide app.
- Specify your travel destination and dates. Also, enter other specifications, like your interests and what kind of places you wish to visit. Remember that GetYourGuide offers simplified filter options like activities, cuisines, outdoors, local sightseeing, nightlife, rentals, etc. You can choose according to your preference.
- Book your activities in advance by selecting from their list.
- Go to checkout, where you must fill in your name, email ID, and credit card details. You'll also enter any GetYourGuide coupon and GetYourGuide promo code to get fun discounts.
What Destinations Does GetYourGuide Cover?
GetYourGuide covers pretty much all the top destinations in the world. This includes places like New York City in the States, Bali in Indonesia, and Paris in France.
I've highlighted a few of the popular countries here:
- From North America, GetYourGuide covers: United States, Mexico, Canada, Bahamas, Jamaica, Panama.
- From South America, GetYourGuide covers: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Columbia, Ecuador
- From Europe, GetYourGuide covers: Italy, Germany, Poland, France, Russia, United Kingdom
- From Africa, GetYourGuide covers: South Africa, Egypt, Morocco, Kenya, Ghana, Zimbabwe
- From Asia, GetYourGuide covers: Japan, India, China, Qatar, Singapore, United Arab Emirates
- From Oceania, GetYourGuide covers: Australia, New Zealand, New Caledonia, Samoa, Fiji.
What's Great About GetYourGuide
So I enjoy that GetYourGuide touts comprehensive features with additional perks and benefits. Here are just a few points to showcase the benefits:
- A Wide Range of Activities: GetYourGuide includes more than 50,000 tours and activities worldwide. It also provides attraction tickets, city tours, food and cultural experiences, and many more. There's always something to do.
- User-Friendly Interface: GetYourGuide makes your booking experience so much more enjoyable. It takes me no time to find and book tours with a user-friendly and streamlined interface.
- Check the Customer Reviews: I'm the type of person that needs to know what the reviews say. These reviews help me understand people's previous experiences with bookings and activity tours.
- Get the Tickets on Your Mobile: Once you book your tickets, you can directly get them on your mobile instead of getting your tickets printed. Paper-free, baby!
- No Booking Fee: I love this! You have to pay the cost of your tours and activities, but that's it. GetYourGuide doesn’t charge any booking fees.
- Free Cancellation: If you change your plan, GetYourGuide offers free cancellation without any hustle. But the offer is valid up to 24 hours before the event, so you still have to be on your best planning behavior.
What’s Not So Great About GetYourGuide
I've talked about what's excellent about GetYourGuide, but nothing's without flaws. I've combed through GetYourGuide reviews, so you wouldn't have to.
Let's discuss some of the problems with GetYourGuide.
- One Location and Multiple Tours: GetYourGuide can showcase one tourist attraction multiple times. It happens mainly because various suppliers offer various touring options and prices for one tourist attraction. Even though it’s a good thing because you can choose from multiple options, it can also confuse people.
- Confusion in Meeting Point: Sometimes, the meeting point can get confusing. However, it's not GetYourGuide’s fault since the tour organizer didn’t explain the description correctly.
- Many Options for Tours and Sights: Since GetYourGuide offers multiple tours and activities for any city, people often get confused. For people who only want to do the must-do things, GetYourGuide is not a suitable option.
- Not Useful for Asian Tours and Sightseeing: GetYourGuide works fine for European sightseeing. But for Asian tours and activities, it's not that useful. It happens mainly because, unlike most Asian tours, European tours require pre-booking.
As I mentioned earlier, I have to know what those reviews say. So, what exactly are people saying about GetYourGuide?
There are many mixed reviews online about the company, ranging from a horrible experience on Tripadvisor to one of the best tour companies around. Great, a mixed bag, haha.
Let's talk about the bad stuff first. Previous customers who had a poor experience with GetYourGuide recommend reading all of the fine print before booking. Others have commented that scheduled tours are canceled at the last minute, which would surely spoil your trip.
Hasn't been my experience, but I agree this would be a big bummer for my trip.
However, most of the reviews on Trustpilot tend to skew positive as reviewers mention how knowledgeable and professional the local experts at GetYourGuide are.
What's also great is how easy it is to book tours with banging deals and no hidden fees. People also seem to be rather content with the customer service, mentioning that GetYourGuide is reliable.
Is GetYourGuide Legit?
That would be most peoples' biggest concern, and it was also my first question… “Is GetYourGuide Legit?”
The short answer is yes, GetYourGuide is definitely legit! You're getting experts that know what they're talking about and decent transparency about the operation.
Is GetYourGuide Worth It?
This is the most challenging question to answer because each traveler is unique. If you're headed to Europe, I've found GetYourGuide to be worthwhile.
While its range of activities, zero booking fees, and operation in many countries, the company provides an excellent incentive for budget travelers. That being said, if cost isn't an option, it may be worth more research into local companies.
Certainly, I recommend you exercise caution and read the terms and conditions before you book the tickets. GetYourGuide specifies that it holds no liability for any third-party errors.
Also, if the tour description is confusing, turn around! The reviews show that these have underwhelmed many travelers.
Remember, each booking requires your valid email ID and proper credit card information. You must fulfill their age criteria of 18 years and above.
Generally, the legitimacy of GetYourGuide is entirely dependent on individual experiences and activities. Absolutely, worth a try if you find something that sounds amazing.
My Rating: 3.7/5
- Free, flexible cancellation policy
- Variety of activities
- No booking fees
- Mobile-friendly tickets
- Numerous poorly described tours
- Great only in European Countries
- Confusing tour logistics
General GetYourGuide FAQs
Does GetYourGuide Offer Price Guarantee?
Yes! In their commitment to ensuring you always get the best value for your money, GetYourGuide has a Best Price Matching policy.
Have you found the exact same activity you've booked via GetYourGuide on another online platform for a lower price? Well, you're in for a treat!
GetYourGuide will refund the difference between what you paid and the lower price you found, provided that certain conditions are met. The conditions you must meet are as follows:
- The activity needs to be identical in terms of conditions, like the date, city, and number of participants.
- The services offered in the activity must be the same.
- It should be bookable with the same supplier.
To take advantage of this fantastic offer, you only need to send GetYourGuide the link or a screenshot of the cheaper offer. After they verify that the offer is cheaper, the customer service team will refund the difference, which could even be in the form of a voucher.
It's important to note that offers that are part of loyalty or trust programs aren't eligible for this price match. Keep an eye out for special deals and discount promotions from GetYourGuide, which are always clearly marked.
Is This Platform Good for Last Minute Tickets?
Yes, GetYourGuide can be a good platform for booking last-minute tickets. Many tours and activities offer availability up to the last minute.
Please note that this can vary based on the specific kind of tour or activity, and availability can change quickly.
Can I Change My Booking?
Changes to your booking can often be made, but it depends on the specific terms and conditions of the tour or activity you've booked.
What Happens If the Operator Cancels a Tour or Activity I've Booked?
If the operator cancels a tour or activity, GetYourGuide will typically offer a full refund or try to reschedule your booking, depending on your preference.
How Will I Receive My Tickets?
After booking with GetYourGuide, you'll typically receive a confirmation email with a voucher or ticket that you can print or show on your mobile device.
What Should I Do if I Have Issues With a Tour or Activity I booked Through GetYourGuide?
If you have any problems with a booking, you should contact GetYourGuide's customer service. They can help resolve issues or answer any questions you have.
What Are Alternatives to GetYourGuide?
There are many other platforms offering similar services to GetYourGuide. Some of the popular ones include Viator, Klook, Expedia, and Airbnb Experiences.
Plan Your Trip With Pilot!
After reading this review, you might consider GetYourGuide booking some of your upcoming excursions. Whatever platform you use, you'll want a plan to keep your travels organized, and Pilot is here to help with that!
Pilot is a social trip planner to discover and build travel itineraries connecting you to resources everywhere, for free. Pilot makes it fun and easy to create and share your favorite travel moments.
Collaborate stress-free with your travel companions and have all the features you need all in one place with Pilot. It’s completely free and ready for you to try it out now!